Author   Comment  
awatson

Development Team Member
Hi all, 

I recently acquired a 2nd moxy and have started back doing some 5-1-5. I've found Moxy to be a great tool for guiding intensity and workouts on a day to day basis, however I'm still striving to learn more and be better able to interpret test data to find limiters. 

This test was done with Moxys on Right RF, and Left Delt. I've attached the merged CSV file, and also a screenshot showing all the data and HR for reference. 

Rest periods were leg down at 6 o'clock, and the last effort where you can see Sm02 drop more, the RF moxy was switched to VL. I was trying to see if it would desaturate more. 

My interpretation is a Coordination limiter  and/or  local utilization limiter. 

I also wonder if there is a possible cardiac limiter with TBH dropping in the later loads.  Both on rest peaks and at load. 

Looking at the Delt thb during rest it becomes delayed vs primary, my thought here is as compression comes off the THB reaction will be faster in the primary muscle but if CO is weak then it will take longer in the non primary muscle with less initial compression.  

There are no drops in THB or Smo2 at the beginning of rest loads so I don't suspect strength or respiratory, their smo2(RF) quickly climbs to within 1 or 2 % of max. 

Any other thoughts would be great. 

apr22.515.jpg

Attached Files
csv merged Apr 22.csv (361.75 KB, 1 views)

Hiblbauer

Development Team Member

Hi I am still learning, so please anybody correct me if I am wrong.

1. 1st and 2nd set of intervals at low intensity and probably ineffective pedalling - THB rising during interval (due to overcoming venous oclucion in muscle), SMO2 rising - HHb was steady - not much muscle work being done there
2. changing trend in THB a SMO2 beginning 3rd and 4th set of intervals - fading increase in THB, despite HR rising I suppose due to arterial occlusion - isn´t area between 3rd and 4th intervals your competition intenstity? evertything seems efficient there
3. 5th interval (45-50th minute) lead to deeper desaturation (but not as deep as i would expect)and lower delivery during effort and also low desaturation in passive muscle also incresed (drop in smo2), however you switched reference muscle, so I suppose that could interfere with the possibility to look for redistribution, which I would expect, when smo2 drops in reference muscle
4. the approx 8 minute step test at the end showed that you are capable of getting smo2 as low as 35%, so I see no problem in desaturation, but I think (besides the fact that max test after 60 minutes of this test is not really relevant (IMHO)- as you really must have been exhausted) the problem is in delivery which can partly (perhaps) due to lower stroke volume as HR was changing expectably (and I did not see much of redistribution, which I would expect) and perhaps partly due to mechanical issues in the muscle.

what do you or anybody else think?

Jan

awatson

Development Team Member
Thanks for your thoughts Jan, 

I agree with your interpretation. A little more context this was actually an off road athlete I'm working with, not myself. I'm not sure what you mean by "competition intensity"? 

The competition intensity is typically much higher..... when not dodging trees and rocks 

3rd and 4th sets are still steady state and for reference below their mftp. 

the 5th 1/2 step was done above their mftp, they were certainly working and reported feeling the effort much more in Glute and Hamstring, the RF (measured muscle) seemed to engage more towards the end as the athlete tired, hence my suspicion of a coordination limiter as well as well as local utilization limiter. 

The last step up I wanted them to get in a max effort to exhaustion, RF still didn't desaturate much there either. 

The final ramp was just out of curiosity to see if they could actually desaturate more than the RF, 

thanks again for your thoughts 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net