Author   Comment  
xcskier

Development Team Member
Some time ago I posted my cross-country skiing assessment
(http://forum.moxymonitor.com/post/crosscountry-skiing-assesment-8366703)

I have now done a 5-1-5 assessment on a rowing ergometer (Concept2).

I have done the following:
1. No warm up
2. 5 minutes rowing at some intensity in Watts
3. 1 minute rest: standing up or walking around a bit
4. 5 minutes rowing at the same intensity

The intensities were: 100W, 150W, 200W, 250W, 300W 

I only completed half (first 5 minutes) of the last intensity. I may have been 
able to complete the second half, but I was already pretty spent, so if I could
have completed it, it would have been to exhaustion.

I followed the assessment by anther 15 minutes of rowing at 100W-125W.

Notes:
1. I am not a rower, so I didn't have a good technique 
2. I am not used to sitting during exercise

Here are the plots from two sensors (right LV and right triceps). "Lap" indicates either a 5 minute effort or
a 1 minute rest. There seem to be many ThB spikes on my LV sensor. On several occasions ThB was 
very low (2.5 - 4).

ErgAssesmntLV.png  ErgAssesmntTriceps.png 
Raw CSV data is attached.

Attached Files
csv MoxyLV-ErgAssessment.csv (69.77 KB, 8 views)
csv MoxyTricep-ErgAssesment.csv (75.92 KB, 5 views)

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Thanks  for posting the   datas    .
What was  the physiological reason  to  walk around  for  1 min in between 5 min  loads. ?
xcskier

Development Team Member
Quote:
What was  the physiological reason  to  walk around  for  1 min in between 5 min  loads. ?

For the first loads, I sat on the rowing machine and did a few very
light strokes, so I was still moving a bit.

Two other times I got up from a machine to drink some water
as I was thirsty. One time, my glutes were hurting a bit since
I am not used to sitting.

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Thanks.
 keep in mind  that there is a physiological reason for a  complete  stop in a 5/1/5. The reason  : get rid   suddenly  of a  O2   demander  ( active muscle  and  look at the lag time of the different delivery systems ( cardiac  respiration and potential O2  diss curve  shifts.)
 So  if    coaches or   people  decide  to  do an  assessment keep that in mind and if  you feel uncomfortable  to stop  better  do a 5  - 8 min long step assessment without any break  but look at the end to have a 3 min de calibration  feedback,  here  you do nothing in the sport specific  position.
 Standing up  form a bike  or  keep moving  is a physiological  activity  and depending on  the  situation   we will create  shift  or a  pooling outflow  during the  rest , which than is  often difficult  to  get a decent interpretation.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
First   glimpse is   interesting and I have to  figure  out  what I made  wrong look  why. Don't  help yet  better  wrong  and make some   ideas  . but here where I am struggling. see overlapped  synchronized  VL  and tri SmO2

smo2  bi oth all 5 1 5  VL  Tri.jpg 
 You can see  timing is  6 min so always 5  loads  plus 1 min rest You can see  100 and  150 watts VL  and  tri  timing pretty   good. Than  by 200 watts you  start to see a trend in   VL  starting earlier  to  desaturate,  but than in but  than in 250 watts  there is a complete   loss  of   synchronization between   stop  or reduced VL  work and Triceps.
 Interesting   than in 3300 watts  it is a gain in sink ? It looks  as VL  did  three loads  during a  double load in triceps.  respectively y  the VL  got  3 loads  250 watts  with 2 rest  where the  triceps  got  2  x  250 load  with the  1 min rest. So  we will have to look  closer  on tHb reaction at the same place as well as in biased  reactions.

sebo2000

Development Team Member
I'm just looking at the pic from Golden cheetah specifically tHb trend.

Very interesting reaction in lap 17, it looks like triceps took over in lap 17, and sucked all the blood and CO2 [smile]

Or legs muscles completely compressed shifting blood up. Is this possible? I guess yes in this example.

Vastus Lateralis tHb goes down
Tri tHb goes up

But we see drop on HHb on VL and at the same time massive increase in HHB in Tri.

I kinda do not understand this, VL shows good SmO2 utilization, blood volume going down and at the same time we have less CO2...I guess we have to have less O2 as well due to muscle compression, I'm still not that good in visualizing O2Hb in my head.

By looking at the graphs I can only say and confirm his VL is much better trained than Tricpes, but I still do not understand CO2 reaction and tHb reaction. Working on rowing technique could improve the last set for sure.

So the question is: are the legs waiting for triceps to cath up? By looking at SmO2 it looks like legs are working hard, tHb shows the same strong muscle contraction, but why HHB goes up at that high load? Tri is getting really overload in that last lap.

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
lots  of  charts  done on this  but first  have to figure  out  why the  csv  files  look  different  than the  graphs  above  with the   timing and the  SmO2  trends  I showed  , have  to get more time  to see , what I am doing wrong here. The  rest  seems to be  straight  forward    but  again have to get the  datas   properly organised. 
ryinc

Development Team Member
Juerg i think the data problem is the VL file only has about 2250 records but the triceps has over 2400. In some cases the moxy device does not record every 2 sec, it sometimes misses a data point and therefore records a timegap of every 4 or 6 seconds. This can result in independent files going out of synch. You have to work.with the data to fix it e.g. make sure the timestamps correspond between the two files for any particualr data point.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Ryinc. 
Yes  great thanks as  I checked that last night  by looking all the raw  datas of  VL and yes  there are a  lot of  gaps  there  for example by 18.32.36  than 4  seconds   jumps  and many more to come.
 So  question to Roger . how  can  we  fix  that?
is that a one moxy model problem of this  person  or  is   that   happening for any  one ?
 ?
xcskier

Development Team Member
I have two Moxys and I have been experiencing some problems
(when Moxy is not recording) with both sensors.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Roger i would suggest that it either records a null value or it records the previous value. Surely fairly easy through firmware update?
ryinc

Development Team Member
Juerg this applies to all Moxy, not just one person.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
I never  download the MOXY  data  as I run it over  another  software  so great to see  that  there may be a problem so it an be fixed. Thanks to ll the  feedback. 
sebo2000

Development Team Member
I had this problem once, I always press Clear button after download and that seems to resolve issues. Recently I'm using data from Garmin 1000 for analysis and that always works.

ryinc

Development Team Member
Sebo if i recall i chatted to Roger about this. I think the Moxy is programmed to skip the data point if it does not get a recording, so i think the clear after download may just be a coincidence rather than a fix...but will wait for Roger to confirm.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net