Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
sund

Development Team Member
All,

I've been learning about the Moxy for the last month or so and decided to go in for an assessment. I'm a road cyclist and this year was my 4th year of racing. I felt like I ran into a plateau this last year and so thought this is a good way to learn what my limiter is. 

They placed a Moxy on both my right and left VL. We did a 4-1-4 assessment. The power targets were 180w, 220w, 260w, 300w and 340w. I really couldn't do much at 340w and it ended the assessment fairly quickly. 

Below is a screenshot from Golden Cheetah. If doesn't seem as clean as other charts I've seen on this forum, so if you have a better way of doing it, please let me know. I've also attached the .csv. 

It appears to be a cardiac stroke volume limiter, but would love to hear any other thoughts. 

2017-09-08 20_58_26-Sun.png 

Attached Files
csv Moxy.csv (126.12 KB, 9 views)

sebo2000

Development Team Member

Hi Sun,

Thanks for sharing your data, can you also post csv from second leg.

How did you fix Moxy on your leg? Did you use tape or just placed under the bibs? There seems to be a lot of noise in last 2 intervals, I tend to see similar noise when Moxy is not properly fixed in place on the leg just sitting under the bibs.

In the case when you have 2 Moxy sensors to your disposal, best place to use them is on working and non-working muscle. Non-working muscle for cyclists: deltoid, will allow you to observe your body systemic reactions.

Having 2 Moxy on left and right VL would be next step to identify potential leg imbalance if any.

By looking at your SmO2 we can see it starts at quite low level and drops further down single digit number.

What is quite interesting: last 2 intervals right in the middle SmO2 suddenly increases, this could indicate change in pedaling technique and engagement of other muscles to compensate, or could be caused by noisy data, but it is something worth of further investigation.

I would suggest performing another test, with Moxy on VL and deltoid, fixed properly with Cover-Roll stretch tape. This time add 3-4 min “calibration interval” before and after the assessment while you are not doing any work, just seating on the bike. Also your load steps seem to start a bit high. Try using 44%, 66%, 88%, 110, 132% of FTP it might give you much better picture. If possible make it 5-1-5 instead of 4 min, in some cases 4 min might not be enough. Also if you need to drink/use towel/move/ change position, do it only in first minute of each step load. During rest do not seat back, but be in the same position as during load step.

Thanks,

S

sund

Development Team Member
Thanks for the response. 

The Moxy was fixed to my leg using the special tape and then under my bib. The data does look noisy, but when I was viewing it on Peripedal when doing the assessment, it was much smoother. 

I would say the last 2 intervals were hard at the end and my cadence most likely slowed down. I didn't receive the .csv for my other leg, but the stats were essentially the same with no left/right imbalance. 
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Hi Sund, unfortunately you need to experiment with the Moxy sensor placement as the noise(tHb reading 0) is caused by the very low level of fat under the skin.

Try moving the sensor 1-2cm towards RF, as the fat level increases SmO2 will increase too, this will prevent the sensor from reporting a THb&SmO2 of 0.

sund

Development Team Member
Thanks for the responses. I was able to obtain the file from my left VL. I have attached the CSV file. This file appears to be cleaner. 

Attached Files
csv LEFTmoxy.csv (362.70 KB, 16 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net